Richmondshire District Council

The disabled band reduction scheme aims to support those living in a larger property than they would need if they were not disabled. Having a disability, however, does not automatically entitle you to a reduction.

The requirements for a reduction are that the property must be the main residence of at least one disabled person and it must have at least one of the following:

a) A room which isn't a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen or toilet which is mainly used by, and is needed to meet the needs of, a qualifying individual. For example, this may be a room which is now mainly used for therapy or treatment such as kidney dialysis.

b) A bathroom or kitchen which isn't the only bathroom or kitchen in the home which is provided to meet the needs of a qualifying individual.

c) Sufficient floor space to allow the use of a wheelchair required to meet the needs of a qualifying individual.

If your application is successful, your council tax bill will be reduced by one band.

No account is taken of your income - you could qualify regardless of income. A property inspection will be required.

Use this form to: 

  • Make an application for council tax disabled relief
  • An application can be made by any council tax liable person who is resident in the property, or by someone else on their behalf.

Issues not dealt with in this form:

  • Application for disability housing grant

Important information

For the purposes of council tax disabled relief, the disabled person or a qualifying individual is defined as "a person, be they jointly liable, a non-dependent, or under the age of 18 years of age, who is substantially and permanently disabled (whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise)", whilst the meaning of the expression "required for meeting the needs of a qualifying individual" refers to anything which is essential, or of major importance, to the disabled person's well being; by reason of the nature and extent of that person's disability.

Your home may have features added for someone with disabilities that reduce its value. If you don't think these were taken into account when deciding your council tax band, you should write to the Valuation Office Agency.

For more information, visit our website..

What happens next?

Upon completion of this form, a member of the council tax team will contact you within 14 days to arrange for a mutually convenient date and time for the council’s Visiting Officer to drop in on the property to go through the application with you.

What you'll need to provide:

  • Disabled person's details
  • Council tax details including council tax number
  • Optional: Documentation from a health professional such as a doctor, a district nurse, a health visitor, an occupational therapist or a social worker, confirming that the disabled resident needs the extra space or room as stated in the application section. Please be aware that GP's may charge for such a note. 

Your privacy

The information you provide on this application form will be used to facilitate your request. The information will only be disclosed to individuals in the council who require it to complete your request. Please be aware that your information may be passed to the council’s counter fraud service and/or the police if we suspect any fraudulent activity. For more information about how we use your personal data please see the council’s privacy notice on its website.