Richmondshire District Council

Use this form to:

  • Tell us that you want to change a business name or the registered name of an existing residential property, or to add an alias name to a numbered property

Important information:

Please note that for a residential property, you must be the owner of that property in order to register these changes. Tenants cannot apply.

You may change the registered name of your property as long as it does not conflict with an existing property or street name in the area. If your property already has a number, a name cannot be used instead of that number. Numbers are crucial to postal services and emergency services and must be clearly displayed so the property can be easily identified from the street. A new name given to the property will therefore be held by Royal Mail as an alias name, and will be used in conjunction with the original number as part of your official address.   

The cost for re-naming a property or creating an alias name is £52 per property. 

Appropriate names

  • names of living people must not be used
  • the name should not repeat the name of the road its located on 
  • names must not have a commercial connection
  • names which are duplicated or conflict with an existing property or street name within the same postal area will be rejected
  • try to avoid choosing popular house names e.g. Rose Cottage, The Barn, School House

Issues not dealt with in this form:

  • Register a new development including new road name(s)
  • Register a new development or property that doesn't require a new road name, or to register an existing property that no longer is officially registered with Royal Mail

What happens next:

Once you have completed and submitted the form, registration will normally be completed within a month.

What you’ll need to provide:

  • Your contact details
  • Property address details
  • Three potential business or property names 
  • Payment details

Your privacy

The information you provide on this application form will be used to facilitate your change of property or business name request. The information will only be disclosed to individuals in the Council who require it to complete your request. Please be aware that your information may be passed to the Council’s Counter Fraud Service and/or the Police if we suspect any fraudulent activity. For more information about how we use your personal data please see the Council’s Privacy Notice on its website.

A to Z of Services